Junior Week is back for 2019; it will be a non-residential week for 8 to 16 year olds running over 5 days from Monday 5th August until Friday 9th August 2019.
The aim of Junior Week is to provide an opportunity for children to have fun, enjoy sailing and related activities with other young people. The week is suitable for complete beginners and experienced sailors (RYA Level 4 and beyond) alike.
Children can arrive from 8am, but must be at the Club by 9am every day. The afternoon activities will finish at 4.30pm, children can be collected after this time. All children must be collected by 6pm.
Food and snacks are not included, please send a packed lunch and suitable snacks for your child.
The cost of Junior Week is;
· OSC Members - £125
· Non-members - £175
On Wednesday evening from 5pm, we will be having a BBQ. Juniors, parents and volunteers are all invited to this event, there’s no additional charge for this, please let us know if you’ll be attending so we can cater for the right number.
Whilst every effort is made to offer your child progression through the RYA syllabus, certification is not the primary focus.
In addition to enjoyment and learning new skills, safety is of paramount importance during Otley Sailing Club courses. Water sports can be hazardous by their nature and participants, parents or guardians must accept that there are risks and the inevitable bumps and scrapes which happen during the thrills and spills of fast moving activities. To manage the risks so far as we are able, Otley sailing club has a ‘safe system of work’:
- We used RYA qualified Instructors.
- We provide a range of safety equipment for participant’s comfort and safety.
- We teach to RYA recommendations and guidelines.
- We have robust management and safety systems which have been inspected by approved bodies such as the RYA.
- We will modify/cancel an activity if we feel that there are unmanageable risks.
- All Instructors on the course have had a DBS / Criminal Records Bureau Check and we have dedicated on shore and off shore team of helpers. We have first aiders on site at all times.
Please note that:-
· All children must have a wet suit.
· Sailing boots or neoprene beach shoes need to be worn (or trainers that you don't mind getting wet). Crocs or similar are not suitable as they tend to be too slippy and fall off the kids feet too easily.
· All children must have a RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Log Book (This can be purchased from the club).
· Children must attend all 5 days as partial attendance affects group dynamics.
· Children are not allowed mobile phones, tablets, laptops or other electronic items during Junior Week.
· Otley Sailing Club retains the right to adjust the programme or cancel the event if not enough volunteers are forthcoming to help run Junior Week 2019.